Thursday, June 22, 2006

BOX OFFICER

If you people think I'M a big prick, check out this grinnin' needle dick.

But seriously, that's not why I wanted to type up this post. Sometimes my fingers start clicking and I can't stop them. Next thing you know I've attached a photo of a pervert in a cowboy hat humping desert flora.

The REAL reason I started this post was to recommend a couple more movies. In addition to An Inconvenient Truth, the must-see docu-horror film of the century, I also wanted to offer public praise for the film Thank You For Smoking. Saw it yesterday and found it a light-hearted stroll down mammary lane. No wait - now I'm thinking of Thank You For Stroking. A different film altogether. I don't recommend that one so much - gets boring after the first three or four minutes.

Anyhow, Thank You For Smoking is based on the Christopher Buckley novel by the same name - which I also (HIGHLY) recommend. Every line is packed with frivolity and attitude - a refreshing change of pace from the mind-numbing non-fiction I insist on force-feeding my overworked, underpaid brain day after day. The film, in case you couldn't tell from the title, is a grandiose exercise in hyperbole. The plot and characters are so overdone you can't help but smile - which makes the movie's multiple messages all the more powerful. It's still in limited release - but definitely rent that bad boy when it's pressed on plastic.

Another movie I don't mind recommending is Cinderella Man. I'm talking about Ron Howard's historical boxing drama here, not the unauthorized biography of an "artist" most people still refer to as Prince - who I'm sure has been called a Cinderella Man more than once in his life.

Geri and I watched Cinderella Man this past week and both enjoyed it immensely - although Geri thinks the movie would have been a lot better without all the graphic boxing scenes. I personally don't remember much else about the movie EXCEPT for the graphic boxing scenes. Regardless, we both remember liking it. Geri actually got so anxious about the ending she made me stop the movie and wouldn't finish watching it without knowing in advance how it ended. So I told her to Google "Braddock vs. Baer" since the movie was based on a true story. She glanced at a few of the matches, breathed a sigh of relief, smiled knowingly, and let me hit the play button again.

"You're ridiculous," I said, adding: "And don't tell me how it ends."

Definitely worth renting, if not Googling.

No comments:

I SEE YOU!