Tuesday, September 13, 2005

CAN'T SEE THE FOREST FOR ALL THE TREES (HAVE BEEN CUT DOWN)

There's a lot of wasted paper in this world. Tons. Think of all the paper all around you. It's everywhere - and most of it is future garbage. I was thinking of all of these tons and tons and tons of wasted paper and how much of it is actually very useful, if only for a small time. Like the little sticky note I have affixed to my license plate over the registration sticker to alert the ticket nazis in the neighborhood where I work that my renewal has been submitted and I am awaiting the arrival of a new sticker. I don't want my car to look like this guy's car, which I noticed parked on the same block as mine this morning.

These parking violation notices are an excellent example of people wasting paper. The driver of this vehicle is quite clearly deceased...probably decomposing in the sweltering confines of his own trunk.








Anyhow, I've decided after much consideration that the single greatest preventable waste of paper in modern times is the Credit Card Convenience Check mailing. It arrives roughly every 4 days and tries to get you to access your credit card account with a "special" check - special because it carries a massive transaction fee and is typically processed at the cash advance rate of 19.99%. The terms are so obnoxious I can't help but wonder - who the hell is using these things that it's profitable for these companies to keep mailing them out? Convenience checks are a poor financial decision - worse than taking Nicole Richie to an all-u-can-eat Chinese buffet.

Think about it. You're actually PAYING for the "convenience" of writing out a check. What's the convenience? You write out a check, stuff it into an envelope, put a stamp on it and walk it down to the mailbox. That's exactly what people do everyday with the rest of their bills without paying convenience fees.

When I pay $2 for a Starbucks Frappucino at the Shell "Convenience" Mart, it's because I really NEED caffeine and at 2am and I'll pay a little extra to get it. Now THAT'S convenience.

No comments:

I SEE YOU!