Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A SPOONFUL OF SUGAR

Everyone's entitled to a cranky day. I know I have my share of them. Even the 6-year-old H-Man will wake up in a funk from time to time, as he did this morning. I remember flopping about in my sheets on school mornings, dreading the thought of a long day in class. The shortened days of November have a way of depressing even the most cheerful of children. It's hard to get excited when it's cold, dark, and gray outside. Getting the H-man motivated was going to require a heavy dose of good cheer.

"I think you're going to want to get up soon, do you know why?" I asked him.

"Why?" he asked from beneath the comfort of a heavy pillow.

"Because today is going to be the best day ever."

"No it's not," he rebutted, as though the suggestion were another one of my ludicrous overstatements. Anyone who's read AYNtK for any length of time is familiar.

"Yes, it is. I just know it is."

"Today is going to be the worstest day," he shot back.

"That's not even a word!" Geri shouted out from the closet.

"Actually, H. Today is supposed to be the bestest day," I said in his native firstgradese.

He rolled over, getting the sense that I just might be serious.

"It's true," I continued. "And the reason is because of all the great things that could happen today. I have no idea what they are, but there are tons and tons of great things just waiting to happen. Stuff I can't even imagine, they're so good. And I need to be out there to enjoy them all. I'll tell you what. I'M excited about today because something very fun is going to happen. I can feel it. Yep. Today could be the best day ever - and I am not going to miss it." I slapped the edge of the mattress a couple of times and walked off confidently.

Three minutes later the H-Man was in the shower.

And now, as I sit here at work, I find myself hoping nothing bad happens to the little guy today or he'll never believe another word I say for as long has he lives.

No comments:

I SEE YOU!