Friday, July 07, 2006

THE PEOPLE NEED ANSWERS (AND I AM HERE FOR THEM)

So I found an addictive new time-waster and I can't get enough of it. No, I'm not talking about masturbation. (I consider that time well spent, actually).

It’s called Yahoo Answers and it's a growing community of people asking and answering questions.

The lure is that there’s an addictive points system that keeps track of how helpful you are. I’ve been answering relationship questions all morning long, racking up the points. The goal is provide the best answer to the question, as judged by the person who asked it. It’s not a whole lot unlike the game Apples to Apples – only these are real people looking for real answers.

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. Someone asked the question this morning whether there was such a thing as “love at first sight.”

AYNtK replied:

**************

Love at first sight, while romantic, is not possible. You can be attracted to someone - their looks, charisma, personality, power, etc. - but you can't know you are in love with them in the way you know you love someone you have come to appreciate on a much deeper level.

That said, you CAN fall in love with someone you were attracted to upon first glance. But that's not technically love at first sight - that's luck. Love almost always starts with an attraction of some kind because it is an easy way to evaluate your interest in another person. Love is a much more complicated feeling that is devalued every time we suggest it can be achieved with a glance.

Of course, what do I know? I accidentally peed in my eye this morning.

*************

If you think you can do better, Yahoo invites you to try.

And so do I. And not just because I own stock in the company. It really IS fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a Yahoo question for you to try and answer.

Contact me! said...

Yeah, that question and Bono's have received in excess of 200,000 replies. It does appaear that we are nearing the end of the road here as humans, especially when Hawking puts it that way. How can we sustain this remarkable growth in a world getting dangerously warmer, growing shorter on shared resources, and constantly fighting one another over political, economic, and ideological control?

We need an alien race to attack us from space. Something immediate like that might force a little unity down here and get us to work together because while we live in different countries and have very different ideas of what it means to be alive, we are all very much human and share an interest in the survival of our species.

I SEE YOU!