Friday, May 26, 2006

NOTES ON LIFE FROM THE BARNYARD

I've had a super busy week at work, which is pretty rare for me. As a result, I haven't had the opportunity to do a whole lot with AYNtK. I'm sure you'll forgive me, though. You really have no choice, the fact being you can't quit me. I'm your brokeback blogger and we have something both forbidden and special.

Anyhow, I'm leaving work early today to visit Wrigley Field for a few hours. I'm told there's going to be a baseball game there, but the way the Cubs have looked so far this year, it figures to be batting practice for the Atlanta Braves. I shouldn't say that with Carlos Zambrano scheduled to take the mound, but it's hard to get excited about a team so deeply steeped in futility. Sad, really, considering how a couple of years ago they were on the brink of the World Series. Just another familiar page in the book of "How to Lose With and Without Grace." Mark, that is.

I really don't have a whole lot else to tell you this week. Nothing I feel comfortable sharing here, anyhow. No underwear stories. No bathroom jokes. No masturbatory feats of wonder. So in the absence of substance, I will share with you an e-mail I received from Dr. Barnyard Friend, long time buddy and professional manscaper. I enjoyed his summary of the state of the union, particularly since he hails from a Republican stronghold...

****** Dr. Barnyard Friend writes:

It does seem to be a low point in American history. Right now Americans seem to lack optimism. The nightly news is all bad, all the time, and I don't watch. In the late 90's, as much as certain segments of the population hated Clinton, people seemed to be much happier and have a more optimistic outlook on life. Maybe its because we're at war, but I think it's more than that. It just seems like everybody is pissed in general. To make it worse no one has come forth with a compelling plan to end our involvement in Iraq and make it all better in general.

On a more personal side, the policies of this admin have impacted my livelihood directly. The NIH, which funds most of the academic research, enjoyed annual increases in its budget n the 90's. Big increases. The last few years, these increases have tailed off and this year plateaued. B/C most grants are 3-5 years in duration and have an annual 3% hike built in, this year has been killer. Ongoing grants are not getting their full budgets renewed and people paid throught those grants have been down-sized. Fewer grants have been funded. Those that get funded have their budgets slashed. The NIH used to fund around 25% of the proposals it rec'd. Now its like 10%.

I realize that sacrifices have to be made to make sure that the war can be fought. But this is the pipeline that will come up with drugs to save lives and improve our quality of life.

Scientists will become more efficient, find other sources of funds, and the strong will survive. But when its your job on the line, it is hard to see it that way.

Have a good Friday.

**********


Thanks, Barnyard. Keep up the fight. I want some of those drugs you are making. Not today, silly. But maybe next weekend.

No comments:

I SEE YOU!