Friday, September 09, 2005

TIS THE SEASON

Did you know that back-to-school “season” is second only to Christmas in sales volume for many retailers? According to the National Retail Federation, it is estimated that families spend an average of $441.60 on back-to-school supplies. Holy friggin’ crap. Are we sending kids to school with their own laptops now? Whatever happened to a fancy lunchbox and a backpack full of Mead spiral bound notebooks? ($14.43)

But of COURSE this news would shock ME – I don’t have children. But Geri recently sent off her little man to kindergarten, and I saw the list of required school supplies. It was not short. It looked like the kind of list you’d draft if you were being shipped off to a remote island in the South Pacific to start your own civilization from scratch. Or if a researcher instructed you to complete a two-minute free association exercise that started with the word “marker” – and then didn’t stop you for an hour and a half. The kid’s list looked like an inventory sheet from Staples. Film? He’s in kindergarten. He can’t even read and he needs FILM? Is anybody looking at the ROI here? Is there an accountant in the house? Are schools turning out smarter kids than they used to or is that just the cost of mediocrity these days?

And can you believe they're selling Halloween candy already? At least wait until summer's over. It's 88 fucking degrees outside. The chocolate will melt in the car on the ride home! Where's my medication, dammit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm overwhelmed by the lack of comments here. There are a lot of silent readers being amused by you, Ter. I know where I should stick their pin!

Contact me! said...

Oh yeah - I should mention that the GuestMap has a fancy ZOOM feature that lets you get in a little closer on the map. That helps people place their pins closer to where they live. I see it's getting cluttered in spots!

As for the lack of comments, I just assume people are adhering to the folk nicety: if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. And I appreciate that. I really do. Maybe one day I'll start doing that. But then I wouldn't have AYNtK anymore, now would I?

I SEE YOU!