Wednesday, August 17, 2005

STOP AND GO ME

I’ve been having one of those days.

One of those days you just don’t feel yourself. One of those days that makes you want to bury your head in the sand. I don’t quite understand it. I got plenty of sleep last night. I’m not hungover. I even shit twice today. On any other day I’d be celebrating the daily double with a ticker tape parade. Not today. Today I feel out of it for no good reason. I just woke up in a haze that’s followed me around like that dizzying brown dust cloud that shadows Pigpen in the Peanuts comic strip.

Maybe my circadian rhythms are off.
Maybe I need some chocolate.
Maybe I need some really good news.
Maybe I just need a hug.

Maybe it’s just my birthday.

Yes, another full run around the sun complete. The years certainly do fly by the older you get. When I was a kid, summer camp seemed like it lasted forever. Now it feels like summer’s coming to an end before it ever began. Life is getting faster, and I don’t know that I like that. I want everything to slow down so I can appreciate more. So I can take my time doing the things I enjoy. So I can catch my breath. So I can enjoy the wonderful company of the person I call me.

What’s the deal with time? And what's the big rush? Where’s everybody running to? Why is tomorrow so important when all we really ever have is right now?

There is nothing tangible in tomorrow. I can’t smell tomorrow. I can’t taste it. I can’t feel it. I can only imagine tomorrow.

Right now, on the other hand, I can smell, taste, and feel.
Right now is always and forever.
Right now everything is slowing down.
Right now I feel ageless.

Now THIS is a happy birthday.

Go me...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Terry !~!

Huggggs, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Ter. And think on the bright side. When the time comes and you cannot walk, hardly hear or speak, your writing ability will still be amazing. Not many people can say that, or even think it.

Contact me! said...

Thanks, friends. I ended up having a fabulous birthday evening. Had dinner and drinks with friends at a local hot spot, then downed one too many shots of tequila at a bar around the corner from my place. More excitement is planned for this evening, including dinner and the theater. No - not a movie theater...the ACTUAL theater. How cultural! It will be my first foray into the world of major stage production and I can't wait.

I SEE YOU!