Tuesday, August 16, 2005

MR. JONES AND ME

Geri and I were chatting last night and she used the word “Jonesing” to describe a powerful urge she was having (let's call the object of her urge "chocolate"). Anyhow, she then wondered aloud where this term originated. Surprisingly, her know-it-all boyfriend did not have an answer. So I told her I’d hunt one down, as I value knowing obscure things almost as much as I value sharing the obscure things I know.

We all know what “Jonesing” means, right? It’s popularly utilized in connection with drugs or other items to which people develop strong cravings and desires. It’s most often used as a verb – “to Jones.” Although, it would not be incorrect to say that Michael Jackson has been accused of acting upon an inappropriate Jonesing. Noun.

Our question was not what the word means, but rather, where in fuck did it come from? Who is this magnetic Jones character? And why do we invoke his/her name whenever we feel drawn to a particular sensation or experience? I’ve been Jonesing to play a little basketball. I’m Jonesing for a super fat Reuben sandwich with extra saurkraut. I’m Jonesing for just one drag off that cigarette. I’m Jonesing for a delicious slice of cherry pie. I’m Jonesing for that next season of Survivor. (Hell the fuck yeah)

Who’s this Jones cat?

I dug around a little online. What did I find? Very little, actually. Everywhere I looked I found definitions of the expression, but no explanations of WHY. Finally, I stumbled upon a website called www.word-detective.com. The author apparently hunts down the meanings and origins of figures of speech and other interesting words/phrases for curious and perplexed readers. From the site I was able to gather a bit of background.

The verb “jones” is of African-American origin, and was introduced as slang back in the 60’s. Originally, it was as a noun that meant “a drug addiction, especially to heroin.” Why Jones? It is believed this name may have caught on because the term “Mister Jones” was a common euphemism for the local heroin pusher. Again, why “Jones” was chosen as a euphemism for heroin pusher eludes immediate explanation. Maybe there was an actual guy named Jones who got a lot of people high back in the day. All I know is, I’ll never hear the Counting Crows song “Mr. Jones” the same again.

Anyhow, that’s where the term “Jonesing” comes from.

No comments:

I SEE YOU!